Seller:'So, here's a copy of the support contract that we're offering you.'
Buyer:'Do you mind if we have a few minutes to go over it?'
Seller:'Not at all. Take your time.'
20 minutes later
Seller:'As you can see, we're offering you an excellent deal with full 24 hour on-site and off-site support.'
Buyer:'It looks good. Could you clarify what exactly this means in your proposal?'
Seller:'It means that if there is a serious problem then the on-site support team can contact one of our senior developers. If they can't resolve the problem remotely they will come on-site within 2 hours. Does that answer your question?'
Buyer:'Yes it does.'
Seller:'Well, if that's all, shall we start to talk about money?'
Buyer:'Sorry, before we move on, we require clarification of your procedures for data confidentiality.'
Seller:'Well, as is standard in the industry, all our staff have to sign a data confidentiality agreement before working with any new client. This prevents any external use of data.'
Buyer:'Sorry, I'm still not clear about it!'
Seller:'I have a copy of a confidentiality agreement here with me. Have a look at it.'
5 minutes later
Seller:'Does that answer your question?'
Buyer:'I'm afraid that it doesn't say anything about performing criminal background checks on your staff. We're a bank and it's necessary that anyone who works for us has had one done.'
Seller:'Of course they are carried out.'
Buyer:'I'm afraid that we need it on paper before we can do anything. Can you put that in writing?'
Seller:'No problem, I'll send that to you today. And do you want to know our price?'
Buyer:'Send it to us when you send the copy of the checks procedures.'
Seller:'Ok. Do you want to meet again this Friday?'
Buyer:'I'm afraid that we can't do this Friday. I'll let you know in a couple of days when we can meet.'
Seller:'So, we'll reduce the price per unit to $4. It's a substantial reduction.'
Buyer:'So, if I'm correct, you're now offering a 35 cent reduction on the price of each component.'
Seller:'Yes. Do we have a deal?'
Buyer:'I'm afraid that I need to check with head office before I can make any decision.'
Seller:'No problem. I'll give you time to call them.'
5 minutes later
Seller:'So, what's the decision?'
Buyer:'My boss wasn't there, so I left her a voice message.'
Seller:'You know you won't get a better price.'
Buyer:'I appreciate what you're doing, but I have to wait for her to call me back.'
Seller:'Ok, what if we offer you an extra year's guarantee. But it's on condition that you order today.'
Buyer:'I'll make a note of that, but it's out of my hands. When my boss calls me, I'll tell her.'
Seller:'It's a one-off offer. We can't keep it open.'
Buyer:'I appreciate that, but I can't approve anything without the agreement of my boss first. So, my hands are tied. It's with my boss now.'
Seller:'Maybe it's better if I spoke with her.'
Buyer:'Look, this is going nowhere. I think we've both had a long day. I appreciate the concession that you've made, but I think we ought to sleep on it. I'll speak with you tomorrow.'